If it involves buffalo chicken… sign me up! Really though.
I’ve been making these buffalo chicken egg rolls for about 10 years now. Originally I made them in the oven, but then I got an air fryer.
Air frying means healthy and crispy buffalo chicken egg rolls. That is a definite game changer.
My favorite part about this recipe is that I don’t feel guilty when I eat them… unlike most other buffalo chicken recipes. There’s no cream cheese or cheddar cheese, but don’t be afraid to add some! This easy recipe is very customizable… sometimes Dan and I even make our own separate egg rolls!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you purchase something from a link I provided, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you! Thank you for your support!
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
This part of the recipe is completely optional, however, I think it totally enhances the flavor of these healthy air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls!
I’ve had these buffalo egg rolls with regular hot sauce many of times, and they’re still good! You could also get a store-bought buffalo sauce if you don’t have the time!
Dan and I love this easy homemade buffalo sauce recipe and use it for other recipes like pizza, homemade air fryer wings (we have an awesome recipe!), and buffalo chicken dip! You can also add extra flour if you prefer a thicker buffalo sauce.
Tips for Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Homemade egg roll recipes might come off as intimidating to some just due to working with wonton wraps, but I promise that these are so easy to make!
Where do you buy the egg roll wrappers?
These are the egg roll wraps I use. They’re usually in the refrigerated section near produce. Often times they’re near tofu and other vegan options. A well stocked grocery store should carry them!
Wonton wrappers come in two sizes. I use the bigger ones (the egg roll wraps), but you could always make little appetizer portions using the smaller ones!
Pro tip: If you don’t use all the wontons, you can freeze them in a freezer bag! I do this every time!
How do you wrap an egg roll wrapper?
Lay your egg roll wrapper on a flat, clean surface and apply water or egg wash to the edges of the wrapper using a pastry brush or your finger.
With one corner of the egg roll wrap pointed towards you, add your filling towards the bottom. Roll that corner (the one facing you) over once and then pull in the two side corners towards the filling.
Continue rolling and as you approach the top corner, add more water to seal it shut. If there are any holes, patch them up with a small corner piece of wrapper and some egg wash or water.
See my video below!
How can I make this recipe even easier?
If you don’t have a lot of time, I recommend shredding up a rotisserie chicken! Or, you can bake/shred a chicken breast ahead of time.
As I mentioned earlier, you can also use a store-bought wing sauce. You could also buy pre-diced vegetables. Although, there’s really not much to cut!
As for cooking, the air fryer recipe is faster than baking. This is how they looked after just 4 minutes!
How can I add even more flavor?
A great way to add more flavor, while still keeping it healthy, is to marinate the chicken. I used this chicken marinade recipe for this batch and it was fantastic.
You can also get creative with the fillings! If you like extra spicy, add some jalapeños! Dan loves putting diced tomatoes in his.
If you’re okay with having a non-healthy version, add some cheddar or mozzarella cheese! Buffalo chicken anything is my favorite appetizer for game day!
My sloppy Joe sliders make for a great game day appetizer too!
How do you store these buffalo chicken egg rolls?
You can store these in an airtight container for up to a week. They can also be put in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Leftover egg rolls will need to be reheated in the air fryer or the oven for best results!
Last night I took some out of the freezer and reheated them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. They were still SO good!
Healthy Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Small Sauce Pan
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Tongs
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 Wire Rack
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 10 wonton wraps
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 1/4-1/2 cup buffalo sauce (see below) or hot sauce
- 1-2 celery sticks diced
- 1/4 cup onion (or green onions) diced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 small dish water
- cooking spray
- Add hot sauce, butter, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar to a small saucepan on low to medium heat
- Stir occasionally until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved
- Whisk in the flour (add more or less depending on how thick you want the sauce)
- Remove from heat to cool a little
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Lay out the wonton wrappers on a large surface or cutting board
- Mix the shredded chicken with 1/4-1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I used 1/2 cup because I enjoy spicy food) in a small bowl
- Add 2-3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture to the bottom corner of the wonton wrapper
- Add desired amount of celery, onions, and crumbled blue cheese on top
- Use your finger to apply water around all corners of the wonton wrapper
- To roll, start by pulling up the bottom corner where the filling is and rolling towards the center. Grab the left and right corners and fold those in towards the center as well. Keep rolling and dab a little more water on the last corner before sealing shut. (See my video above!)
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer for 5-10 minutes
- Lightly spray the the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray
- Place egg rolls in a single layer in air fryer basket
- Cook on max crisp (if you have that setting) for about 4 minutes or 400 degrees F for 6 minutes
- Use tongs to flip the egg rolls
- Spray the bottoms with cooking spray
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes on max crisp or 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees F
- Serve with a side of blue cheese or ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Lightly spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray
- Grease a wire rack with cooking spray and place on top of a baking sheet
- Layer the egg rolls, sprayed side up, on the wire rack in a single layer
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, flip, and spray the bottom of the egg rolls
- Bake for another 6-7 minutes until golden brown
- If you like extra crunchy egg rolls, place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes per side
- Serve with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing
Try these air fryer egg rolls for your next party or when you have leftover chicken to use up!
Leave a rating and a comment below if you do!! I’d love to hear your thoughts or how you made your own version 🙂